Referencing, Citation & Copyright
The University and Library Services provide signposts to key organisations and University departments that offer specialist knowledge and guidance in copyright and intellectual property.
For detailed, case-specific help, it is necessary to take legal advice appropriate to your needs.
See also the University guidance on Academic Misconduct.
This institution holds a licence with The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA) that permits the photocopying, scanning and re-use of limited extracts from copyright protected books, journal, magazines and other periodicals published in printed form. Full details are posted above the photocopiers in each Library.
Copyright guidance for academic staff has been developed to ensure that the University remains copyright compliant under the terms of the CLA’s Higher Education Licence for photocopying and scanning. Library Services, Legal Affairs and the Teaching and Learning Exchange are partners with academic staff to embed these processes into academic practice.
For further information and support on copyright compliance under the terms of the licence, please email email@example.com.
- Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
- The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (Amendment) Regulations 2010
- Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003
- British Copyright Council - Protecting and promoting UK copyright.
- The Copyright Licensing Agency - UK collective licensing for print and digital publications on behalf of the copyright owners - authors, publishers and visual artists.
- Creative Commons - Share and use creative works via free legal tools.
- The Design and Artists Copyright Society - DACS is a not-for-profit visual arts rights management organisation.
- Educational Recording Agency - The ERA licenses users to record off air radio and television broadcasts for educational use. Their website sets out the terms and conditions of the scheme. Please note that UAL LIbrary Services now subscribes to Bob National, an off-air recording and media archive service.
- The Information Commissioner's Office - The UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest.
- Intellectual Property Office - The official UK government body responsible for intellectual property (IP) rights including patents, designs, trade marks and copyright.
- Student Enterprise and Employability - UAL service for students and graduates (up to three years). SEE offers advice on intellectual property rights for creators, through Own It, the free legal advice service.
- The UK Copyright Service - Information about copyright and intellectual property. Register your work online.
- UAL Governance and Legal Affairs