EU referendum: information for students

On 23 June 2016 the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU). If you would like more information about this, please visit our EU referendum: information for students page.

At University of the Arts London (UAL), we currently have students from over 130 countries studying with us as part of our internationally-diverse student community.

UAL is the largest specialist art and design university in Europe, offering a wide range of art, design, fashion, communication, media and performing arts courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

Applying to UAL

EU students from outside the UK can apply to courses at UAL in the same way as UK students. Visit our Apply page to find out more, including information about the selection process and entry requirements. 

When you apply to a practice-based course in a subject like fine art, graphic design and other hands-on disciplines, you may be asked to submit a portfolio of relevant work. Check your chosen course page to find out if a portfolio is required for your chosen course. For most courses, the portfolio is the most important part of your application. For guidance on what to include in your portfolio, visit our Portfolio Preparation page. 

Tuition Fees

We currently charge two different rates of tuition fees: the lower Home/EU fee and the higher Overseas fee. Tuition fees vary depending on your chosen course, and cover the cost of teaching and the use of facilities. For a list of fees for each study level, visit our Tuition Fees page. 

Read more about how the 2016 EU referendum result affects tuition fees on our EU referendum: information for students page.


There’s lots of support available to help pay for the costs involved in going to university. Visit the student fees and funding section of our website for more details about the financial support available.

Scholarships, bursaries and awards

We offer a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and awards provided through generous donations from individuals, companies and philanthropic charities, as well as from University funds. Take a look at our Scholarships Search to see what you might be eligible for.

Loans for undergraduate study

If you’re from an EU country and have been resident within the EU for three years, you may be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan from the UK government. This loan covers the cost of your tuition fees and is paid back in affordable monthly instalments once you’ve graduated and are earning over £21,000 a year.

Loans for postgraduate study

From summer 2016 Student Finance England will offer repayable loans of up to £10,000 to eligible UK and EU nationals starting a full or part-time masters course in the academic year of 2016/17. Take a look at our Postgraduate Master's Loan page for more information.

If you want to study a course at postgraduate level, you may be eligible to apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan to help pay for a course if it will develop your career or assist you in gaining a position within a professional workplace. It's more like a bank loan than the student loan offered to undergraduate students. The Skills Funding Agency will pay the interest on the loan until a month after the course is completed. After this, you will be responsible for the interest and loan repayments. To be considered you must have been living in the UK for at least three years before your course starts. Visit our Professional and Career Development Loan page for more information and to find out if you’re eligible.

English language support

If English is not your first language, you will need to show recent evidence that your level of spoken and written English meets the entry requirements of your chosen course. We accept several qualifications and tests as proof of English language level, including the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Take a look at our English Language Requirements page to see if you already have recognised evidence of your English language level.

If you don't currently have recognised evidence of your English language level, UAL's Language Centre offers a special English language course in the summer before you start your main degree to help you achieve the required IELTS grade. The Language Centre also offers English language support throughout your degree to help you with your studies.

Events in Europe

We travel regularly to countries across Europe to attend education fairs, give presentations and hold seminars for prospective students. These events give you an opportunity to meet us, find out about studying at UAL and discuss your application in person.

We don't have any events coming up soon but you can view the unrivalled range of courses at UAL in our prospectus

EU alumni on studying at UAL