Honorary Awards 2018
Multi award-winning costume designer, Sandy Powell OBE RDI; celebrated artist, Chila Kumari-Burman; queen of virtual reality, Resh Sidhu and the first female publisher in British Vogue’s 102 year-long history, Vanessa Kingori MBE are among 16 leading creative figures to be given honorary awards by UAL this year.
They will be recognised for their outstanding contributions to the creative industries at UAL’s Graduation Ceremonies at the Royal Festival Hall from 17 – 20 July 2018.
The full list of Honoraries for 2018:
- Imran Amed MBE - founder, CEO and editor-in-chief of fashion news authority The Business of Fashion
- Clive Baillie - founding partner and CEO of BLT Communications, one of Los Angeles’ leading creative agencies specialising in entertainment marketing
- Denise Scott Brown - one of the world’s most pre-eminent architects and urbanists, pioneer of the postmodern movement in architecture, and Principal of Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates
- Chila Kumari Burman - the celebrated multi-media artist has been exhibiting for more than 30 years
- Jonathan Chippindale - founder and chief executive of Holition, an award-winning creative innovation studio marrying the world’s most iconic brands with technology and retail
- Mark Coulier - multi-award winning make-up and prosthetics artist, behind film greats such as Harry Potter, The Iron Lady and The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Theaster Gates Junior - leading voice in contemporary art, whose work focuses on space theory and land development, sculpture and performance
- Darren Henley OBE - award-winning journalist, author and chief executive of Arts Council England
- Vanessa Kingori MBE - first female publisher in British Vogue’s 102 year-long history
- Baroness Lane-Fox of Soho CBE - businesswoman, philanthropist and co-founder of Lastminute.com, instrumental to the UK’s dot com boom in the late 1990s.
- Linda Loppa - curator, art director and leading voice in international fashion education, spanning 25 years as head of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp
- Mike Nelson RA - sculptor and installation artist, twice nominated for the Turner Prize
- Sandy Powell OBE, RDI - multi award-winning costume designer who has won three Oscars, two BAFTA Awards and a Costume Designers Guild Award
- Resham Kaur Sidhu - deemed ‘Queen of VR’, multi award-winning creative director and thought leader across digital innovation, virtual reality and immersive media
- Robert Storr - renowned curator, critic, painter and writer, former senior curator of Painting and Sculpture at Museum of Modern Art
- Gary Younge - acclaimed journalist, author, broadcaster and editor-at-large for The Guardian, covering some of the biggest stories of the last 25 years, from the Iraq War to Brexit
The ceremonies will be streamed live on UAL’s website and live-tweeted under the hashtag #UALGrads.